Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Share My Life With Others - Discipling

"Discipling is the process of equipping, training, and encouraging another in his or her apprenticeship to Jesus.  It means journeying with and helping another to grow in knowledge as well as in the virtues and character of Christ." - Spiritual Disciplines Handbook

     Discipling goes beyond just "saving a person".  It is an extended commitment to helping the person with their commitment to becoming more mature in Christ.  Discipling, though, can't really happen if the "saved" person doesn't want to grow.  You can't force a person to mature in their faith, they must be wanting and longing for that kind of growth.  Discipling usually occurs when a group of believers convene around the Word and encourage each other with love and kind words.  This usually happens when a older more-mature Christian disciples a younger one, but it can also happen in small groups as they spur each other on in growth.

     I know that I'm called to be a youth pastor.  And I know that along with that come the responsibility of discipling teens.  I'm totally up for that, because I love talking with others and challenging them to grow.  The only problem is that sometimes I forget that I need discipled as well.  I get discipled by my close friends when we get together for small group.  We always challenge each other to better ourselves and talk about what is holding us back.  I think sometimes Christians are really quick to disciple, but are very slow to be willing to get discipled.

No comments:

Post a Comment