Sunday, December 5, 2010

Hear God's Word - Meditation

     Meditation isn't a discipline that is limited only to Eastern religions, but also rests at the core of Christianity.  It is an invitation to invite God to work in your life.  God is near, and clues to his presence have been seen since creation: "For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities--his eternal power and divine nature--have been clearly seen..." Romans 1:20. The problem occurs when we don't stop and really see what is going on around us.  God is here, but sometimes we aren't looking.


     To meditate on a passage, slowly read the passage over and over.  Listen to the scripture, asking what God wants you to get out of it, and what is important.  Write down any questions you have.  Sometimes memorizing the passage makes it easier to repeat it in your mind over and over so that it resonates automatically.  Many times I like to find a key verse that sticks out and write down a paragraph about what it means to me.  When I actually write things down, it tends to stick in my memory more  prominently, and sometimes I even write it on a sticky note and put it on my desk so that I can read it every time I sit down.


     "Meditation is a long, ardent gaze at God, his work and his Word.  Slowing down and giving one's undivided attention to God lies at the core of Christian mediation." - Spiritual Disciplines Handbook

No comments:

Post a Comment