Monday, October 4, 2010

Open Myself to God - Teachability

     The concept of teachability goes way beyond just gathering information.  You may be the most knowledgeable person in the world, but you might not be very teachable.  What I mean is this, "Information doesn't necessarily transform or shape us." - Spiritual Disciplines Handbook.  We can gather tons and tons of information in our brains, but not become any wiser because we don't translate it into life-changing measures.  We can become so consumed by just "knowing," that we stop "applying."

     Jesus was the kind of guy who looked for extremely teachable people -- people who had open minds, not hard hearts.  These kinds of people were the ones who were open to being taught new ways of thinking and were willing to change their lifestyles or thought processes just to follow Christ.  He was completely annoyed by those who were "unteachable." He said to these people:

     "You diligently study the Scriptures because you think that by them you possess eternal life.  These are the Scriptures that testify about me, yet you refuse to come to me to have life" 
- John 5:39
     I think one of the hardest things to overcome is our natural response to hearing opinions that we don't necessarily agree with.  I know that in my human nature I automatically go, "Nope, that's wrong.  I'm right. You're not.", but God has a totally different plan.  The idea of teachability is culminated in the pause in which we say "Well, at least let's hear them out."  It's not about necessarily changing our mind, standards, or values.  It's about keeping an open mind, and basing what the other person is saying on what Christ shows through his example.

     Maybe one of the best ways to be teachable is this: let somebody be wrong.  I know right, totally crazy.  I'm not going to let someone think they win an argument when I'm definitely the right one!  But when we continuously fight back, it makes people raise barriers, and their heart hardens.  Being teachable isn't always about learning for sure what is right and wrong, it's about opening your mind, and helping to keep other's minds open as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment