Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Open Myself to God - Unplugging

     We live in a world that is increasingly becoming based on technology.  While technology does have it's benefits, more and more it seems to lead to a kind of skewed sense of interaction based on only typed words on a screen.  More and more I find myself sending emails to my professors or my classmates with questions rather than asking them in person just because it's more convenient for me.  This kind of interaction has almost no emotions, and almost no risks.  Sarcasm can be misinterpreted and smilies can hide one's true feelings.

     We as human beings were not created to live in this kind of relationship with each other.  Do you think it would be a healthy relationship if all we did was send emails to God?  The only time that worked was in Bruce Almighty...  But seriously, our relationships aren't based on just these white and black messages with no emotion.  Oh sorry, there's some emotion!!!!!!!!!!!.  Apparently that means that I'm really excited?  Here's the deal: God created us for more personal relationships.  Relationships that are built on face to face encounters through which we can really get to know a person through their emotions or nonverbal signals.

     I know that I spend a lot of time on facebook in my dorms.  Granted, I'm doing my homework -- or trying to -- but I sometimes find myself trying to build relationships over facebook chat.  Then I realize how stupid that can be.  I mean come on, what kind of relationship is it if you meet someone face to face and say..."Oh, remember that thing I said on facebook? haha yea, that was funny."  I mean, really?  God had a totally different plan for our relationships.

     I know that there are other benefits to unplugging, this is just one that I wanted to focus on.  I just know that sometimes I get caught in the trap of thinking that spending hours a day playing xbox with a friend makes us really close...until we get bored of talking about the game.  We need to focus our attention on creating real relationships through face to face interaction.

     And for the record...Skype isn't good enough for face to face interaction...just saying

No comments:

Post a Comment