Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Relinquish the False Self - Secrecy

     When I think of secrecy, it usually crosses my mind in a negative way.  I know many times over the years people have told me that secrets cause division and are bad, but I guess it really all depends on the nature of the "secrets."  I mean I see two different kinds of secrets: one is for benefit, and one is for humility.  I think the real spiritual discipline of secrecy centers around the second kind, so that's what I'm going to focus on here.


     I know that human nature goes against the idea of anonymity.  We always want to be in the limelight; always want recognition for any small act or service we do.  Many times, we do stuff for the SOLE reason of being noticed.  Like in the gospels we see the Pharisees give extremely public and extravagant prayers.  Why? Because everyone can see them, and everyone will realize how "spiritual" they really are.  But recognition and praise from fellow believers about your faith isn't what being a Christian is about.  Jesus really promotes this idea of secrecy (humility kind) many times throughout the gospels.  Here's an example:

     "But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen.  Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you." (Matthew 6:6)
    
     "A deed that exists for the sake of recognition is not for God; it's for you." (Spiritual Disciplines Handbook).  That's really what it all comes down to.  I mean, God calls us to live out our faith and be on fire for him, and Paul tells us to pray constantly, but do they every speak of showing off?  I don't think so.  The whole point behind secrecy is humbling yourself.  When you pray, do it in a humble manner.

     Have you ever tried praying to God like he's your best friend?  Often times, myself included, we feel like we have to "pump up" our prayers with big words that make us sound extremely intelligent or spiritual, but God can really see through all that.  The heart of our deeds is what makes them actually living out our faith.  I can build a million church buildings, but if it's for recognition, then what's the point?  I gain nothing from it in God's eyes.  But if I were to build one church building and never tell anyone, would that not be a better example of living out my faith?

     So what will I do tomorrow?  Will I open the door for somebody?  Will I do devotions and pray?  Will I save a child from running into the street?  You won't know...that's the application of this spiritual discipline.

No comments:

Post a Comment