Sunday, October 10, 2010

Relinquish the False Self - Detachment

     What kinds of things are we so attached to that it distracts from God?  I know for me, some things that I'm really attached to are my friends and family.  This whole idea of detachment centers around being so attached to God that you are willing to "detach" and give up anything else in your life for him.  This idea is kind of difficult to me to be honest.  Like if Christ asked me to give up some of my closest friends, I don't know if I'd be able to do it.  This reminds me of the story of Abraham and Isaac.  Abraham was willing to "detach" himself from his own son (by taking his life!) all because God instructed him to.  That's quite a sacrifice; more of a sacrifice than I can even imagine.

"[Jesus] said, 'Anyone who intends to come with me has to let me lead.  You're not in the driver's seat;  I am.  Don't run from suffering; embrace it.  Follow me and I'll show you how.  Self-help is no help at all.  Self-sacrifice is the way, my way, to saving yourself, you true self.'" (Mark 8:34-35)

     I think I've started to become very attached to my voice and hands (for playing guitar).  God has given me a gift for music, and if I were to lose it for some reason, I don't know what I would do.  I can't imagine God taking away my musical ability, but what if he did?  Would I be strong enough in my attachment to Him to be willing to detach myself from music?  I honestly don't know.  Music has become a huge part of my life, and I never want to see it gone, but at the same time, I need to keep my heart focused on glorifying God through these gifts.  God is the reason after all that I have these gifts.  Without gifts God exists, but gifts don't exist without God.

"Indeed, I have been crucified with Christ.  My ego is no longer central.  It is no longer important that I appear righteous before you or have your good opinion, and I am no longer driven to impress God.  Christ lives in me.  The life you see me living is not 'mine,' but it is lived by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me." (Galatians 2:20)

No comments:

Post a Comment