Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Open Myself to God - Examen

     The "examen" is a list of questions that helps us to notice where God shows up in our daily lives.  The examen  is also know as the "examination of consciousness" and it's main purpose is to bring to our attention God's work in our lives that we would otherwise have missed in the hustle and bustle of every day.  The questions of the examen help us to see God's internal workings as a result of our external experiences throughout the day.  The examen brings us closer to God by clearing all the "muck" out of our eyes so we can see clearly God's movement.  Some of the questions include:


  • For what moment today am I most grateful?  For what moment today am I least grateful?
  • When did I give and receive the most love today?  When did I give and receive the least love today?
  • What was the most life-giving part of my day?   What was the most life-thwarting part of my day?
  • When today did I have the deepest sense of connection with God, others, and myself?  When today did I have the least sense of connection?
  • Where was I aware of living out of the fruit of the Spirit?  Where was there an absence of the fruit of the Spirit? 
     - Spiritual Disciplines Handbook
    
     The examen is a great way to discern what makes you feel most alive, what moments make you most grateful, when you're closest to God, or even the places where you aren't alive, grateful, or close to God.  For example, those who are always optimistic tend not to see the things in their life that bring them down and need the examen for that purpose.  Likewise, people with pessimistic tendencies need the examen to see the good in their life.

"Perspective and direction for the future happen through listening to where and how God shows up in your day and then interacting with God in prayer." - Spiritual Disciplines Handbook
     I think what stands out to me most right now is that this isn't just a spiritual discipline in the face that it helps us realize the importance of physical health as well.  I think question number three really kinda talks about that.  When I sit here and reflect on my day, I would have to say that the most life-giving part of my day was when I went to the gym and worked out.  I know at first glance it seemed that this was all about recognizing spiritual moments, but why not physical moments too, where we recognize the beauty of our creation and work to preserve it?  I don't know, just a random thought.



No comments:

Post a Comment