Saturday, September 18, 2010

Open Myself to God - Journaling

     Many times the world tells us that we need to focus on the experience of something.  By that I mean, you need to go to Orlando to experience Disney World, or you need to go to the beach to experience the ocean.  But there's something more, something that we don't necessarily see if we aren't looking for it.  God is in every experience; every place we go, everyone we meet, everything we do.  We as humans tend to get so caught up on what we physically see or hear that we tend to miss the big picture.  God (usually) can't be sensed through the normal human senses (unless you're Moses and meet with him face to face).  It's in the quiet moments, when we reflect on these experiences, that we can see the Holy Spirit moving in those around us, or God's people at work .

     Journaling is a great way to really explore these experiences and talk them over with God.  I know that in times that I have journaled about an experience, I begin to see God at work in EVERY part of the experience.  The sense of privacy that a journal offers makes it very easy for us to open up.  We can write down feelings, revelations, struggles, and even vent before God, in a way that may be inappropriate to do to others.   We begin to understand ourselves more completely.  Our sinful longings, limitations, and desires become evident to us.  Journaling can help us realize our fears, hopes, and angers in a way that keeps us from hurting others.

     "The ongoing nature of a journal catalogs the journey of a soul into God.  It reveals how we hammer out our identity as a Christ-follower through the ups and downs of daily routines as well as in times of crisis." - Spiritual Disciplines Handbook
    
     I think they cool thing about journaling is that there aren't set rules to it.  You can journal every day, or every month, or even just any time you have an awesome experience and you want to reflect and talk about it with God.  I know that when I went to Haiti, some of my biggest revelations came through journaling my thoughts down in the form of songs.  I write mini-songs, but some may write formal paragraphs while some others may just doodle.  Journaling isn't about following rules, it's about reflecting, listening, and learning.  I know that when I journal, I can almost always see where I was at fault in my day, whether accidentally or purposefully, and I see what I need to change.  I can see where God wants to take me, and I know what the first step towards that final project is.  Journaling helps tell the story of our spiritual journey as we grow closer to God.

     The key to journaling is being truthful...even if you won't admit something, God already knows it, I mean, he created you.  So why not just write down your true feelings?

2 comments:

  1. Yes, and when we write about some of our blessings we can reflect back later and remember just how good God is to us. Right now I'm still remembering how good it is that I don't need to have surgery. I wasn't feeling too good about life a month ago (speaking of feelings) but now I have a greater appreciation of life and God's goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This morning I preached on the experience of Jesus as a boy at age 12. His parents are frantic when they discovered he was missing from their company as they traveled back home from Jerusalem. They must have been completely panicked by the time they found him in the temple talking to the village elders, and his parents were even more astonished to hear Jesus say "I must be about my Father's business." In their context, no one addressed God as "my Father" and they must have been so confused by the intimacy with which Jesus spoke of this heavenly Father. I love the line in Luke, however, when Mary after taking Jesus home "ponders all these things in her heart." She has a similar response to the angel who promises the birth of this miraculous, savior child. I wondered how Mary might have "pondered things in her heart" today. Would she have kept a leather bound journal, or tapped away on her laptop. What a wonderful way to process the miraculous things that happen to us when we cannot quite fully grasp what has happened. I am struck that sometimes, I just need time "to ponder things in my heart" and as you say reflect, listen and hold these moments as we wait for what the Lord may do next.

    ReplyDelete