Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Worship - Holy Communion

 22While they were eating, Jesus took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to his disciples,   saying, "Take it; this is my body."
 23Then he took the cup, gave thanks and offered it to them, and they all drank from it.
 24"This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many," he said to them.
                              (Mark 14:22-24)
      This book has started to change my perspective on the tradition of communion.  I have taken part in communion countless times over the years, but what's really the purpose?  I guess one way to look at it is in remembrance of Christ and his death.  We celebrate what Christ did when he gave himself up for us, so that we could be redeemed.  He was perfect, without sin, and yet he paid the ultimate price.  He was the final blood offering for our sins.  With him, a new age was established in which we now all take part.
     I guess another way at looking at it though is a way to enter into God's story.  As we take communion, we are entering into a long line of apostles, disciples, and believers before us who have entered into the story of Christ's death and resurrection.  We, as each individual part, form the body of Christ.

Because there is one loaf, we, who are many, are one body, for we all partake of the one loaf (1 Corinthians 10:17)
      I think it would be downright insane to be sitting with Jesus at the Last Supper and hear him say that his body would be broken, and his blood spilled for me.  I can't imagine what was going through the disciples' heads...You can't die, you're God!...How could you give your life for me, I'm not worthy!.  It's just insane to think that someone so perfect would be killed for doing nothing wrong.  And yet, he did it, knowing he didn't deserve it, knowing that we didn't deserve what he was doing for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment